- Hand wash using very hot water and ordinary dish washing soap (not lotion/moisturizing soaps).
- Heat (150°C) the water, pour into a bucket with soap and immerse the face mask(s).
- Agitate, soak.
- Rinse very well in plenty of water.
- Squeeze well.
- Let air dry.
- Machine wash, hot water, using laundry soap that DOES NOT contain fabric softeners; a powdered detergent is preferred.
- If in any doubt, choose a powder detergent.
- Add an extra rinse cycle as needed.
- Air dry or machine dry on a warm cycle.
- If machine drying, consider using a mesh bag to prevent damage to ties.
In between short term uses or if washing a mask is not an option, here is what you could do:
- Spray the mask (BOTH inside and out) to saturate with either 60% ethanol/ethyl alcohol (or greater percentage), or 70% isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol (or greater).
- Allow to air dry. This assumes that you have alcohol available in a spray bottle.